WHRE ARE THEY NOW? Compiled and edited by Mark Williams
This unique and original follow-up section covers the fate of some of the regulars that used to grace the tarmac at Manchester.
Contributors or any additional information are most welcome: firstname.lastname@example.org
WHERE ARE THEY NOW 14 - DC-6 YU-AFF
Inex-Adria began summer operations from Manchester on 26th May 1963, with a weekly flight to Zagreb. YU-AFF seen here (2nd June 1963) was one of four Douglas DC-6s from Inex-Adria to be seen at Manchester during the summer. (Photo © Dave Lawrence)
The airline operated summer only flights until 1966 on behalf of state-owned Yugotours, predominantly to Dubrovnik and Ljubljana. Their last full summer programme from Manchester was in 1966. After failing to notice that jets were more commonplace with tour operators, they were unable to compete with the newer BAC 1-11s and Boeing 737s. In February 1969 the airline ceased all operations, pending a decision on its future with Yugotours, who awarded the contract that year to national carrier, JAT. However, later that year, the airline was reborn as Inex-Adria after purchasing a DC-9 and continuing operations with three DC-6Bs, which soldiered until 1971. (Photo © Jim Newton)
The following shots were taken in June 2015 showing DC-6B YU-AFF preserved at Ljubljana, having been retired in 1972.
WHERE ARE THEY NOW 13 - BAC 1-11 G-AVMU
Seen here in 1973, G-AVMU was one of eighteen Super 1-11s delivered to BEA in 1968/69. This were officially based at Manchester, but the majority were operated out of London-Heathrow and within Europe, they were however maintained at Manchester until 1977. (Photo © Hubert Parrish)
11th July 1992 - Stil going strong, thirteen years after being delivered, G-AVMU is now resplendent in British Airways Landor livery, worn on the airlines aircraft between 1984 and 1997. This was the final year of operation for G-AVMU, it operated its final passnger service on 16th October 1992 (BAW5383 DUS-BHX). It positioned to Manchester the following day for storage until the 29th October, when it left Manchester for the final time to Bournemouth. (Photo © Paul Rowland)
4th March 1993 - G-AVMU arrived at Duxford to be displayed alongside ex-BA aircraft Trident 2 G-AVFB & sSVC-10 G-ASGC. (Photo © Michael Oldham)
WHERE ARE THEY NOW 12 - SVC-10 G-ASGC
BOAC Super VC-10 G-ASGC made its first visit to Ringway on 26th October 1965. It arrived (BA504 from New York) as a Heathrow weather diversion, and was the third SVC-10 to visit.
This picture was taken 1st May 1967 and G-ASGC is seen mising its radome. When at 4,000ft inbound to Ringway, it was struck by lightning which caused a 12" split in the nose cone, blanking out the airborne radar. The damage was serious enough to temporarily to ground the aircraft and a replacement aircraft was sent up from London to operate the outbound New York flight.
(Photo © Hubbert Parrish)
The second picture is from 29th August 1976, now wearing full BA colours with a further two SVC-10s in the background. (Photo © Geoff Ball)
Having been a regular visitor to Ringway between 1966-1979, it made its final visit on 11th October 1979. It operated its final passenger service 22nd October 1979 when it flew Amsterdam-Heathrow. It was stored at Heathrow until the 15th April 1980 when it was flown to Duxford to be preserved. Since its arrival here, it was restored to BOAC Cunard colours. (Photo © Michael Oldham)
WHERE ARE THEY NOW 11 - Auster J1N G-AGXN
Auster J1N G-AGXN was one of two based at Manchester and operated by Airviews. This four-seater aircraft was built at Rearsby and was delivered to Manchester in 1946. In 1959, it was purchased by Bruce Martin of Airviews and was used for pleasure flights, banner towing, photography work and light charter work. It was based until 1966 when it was sold and left for its new home in East Yorkshire.
It is seen here in 1954 with Brady Shutters titles, who onwed the aircraft, but is also displaying Airviews titles, presumably just for advertising purposes also as it was another five years before it was purchased by Bruce Martin. (© Hubert Parrish)
Fast forward 47 years later and we find this aircraft hangared with the front fuselage covered, although the aircraft was in excellent condition. This photo was taken at Popham on the 4th May 2013.
(© John Smethurst)
WHERE ARE THEY NOW 10 - Hawker-Siddeley HS-121 Trident 2E G-AVFG
G-AVFG (c/n 2146) was delivered new to BEA on 4 July 1968. It made its first visit to Manchester on 15 August 1968 operating BE4128 from Heathrow. In the late-70s, it was re-assigned as an aircraft to be used on Shuttle services, which operated between Heathrow and Belfast,Edinburgh, Glasgow and from October 1979, Manchester was added as to the system.
This aircraft along with several ex-frontline Trident 2's, was allocate primarily as a back-up aircraft. Although its last visit to Manchester was on 14 April 1985, operating a mainline Shuttle service (BA4492/4513). It was withdrawn from service eleven days later.
Over the next fifteen years, its status and condition slowly deteriorated, starting off as a ground training aircraft at Heathrow and eventually becoming a target for the fire service. It arrived in the North-West in June 2000 and was used for filming and arrived at Manchester Airport sometime after that.
It was cut up at Manchester on Saturday 18 May 2013.
The photos below are the very last ones prior to its break up. (Photos © Geoff Ball)
WHERE ARE THEY NOW 9 - DH.104 Dove G-AMZN
This fomer resident at Manchester-Ringway was registered in 1953 and operated for De Havilland, and later Hawker Siddeley until 1965. In October 1965, it was purchased by Roland Johbson & Nephew and delivered to Ringway on the 12th October that year. It served with them and was resident until its sale in Sweden 1972, leaving Manchester for the final time in April 1972 when it eventually became SE-GRA. (Photo © Geoff Ball)
As can be seen from the photo below, it looked none too well at the time the photo was taken at Norrkoping in 2004.
WHERE ARE THEY NOW 8 - Grumman Mallard G-ASCS
This ten-seat passenger aircraft was operated by Ferranti and was used as the personal transport by Sebastian de Ferranti. It was registered to the company between August 1963-January 1969. This was the 55th of 61 Mallards between 1946-1951 and one of only two that ever appeared on the UK register. During the 1960s, with its amphibious capabilites, it divided its time between Manchester and the electronic czar's country estate at Beaumaris, Anglesey. In 1969, it was replaced by Jet Ranger G-AVSN.
In May 1968, it returned home to the UK after six months inactivity in Lisbon after a proposed sale had fell through. During June 1968 it was used briefly by Grosvenor Estates Ltd (the Duke of Westminster's main property company) as a temporary replacement for their Grumman Goose amphibian G-ASXG, which was at Cambridge undergoing modifications to turboprop power. After two weeks' operation on the Scottish lochs, G-ASCS left England on June 2 to start its first long-distance migration outside Europe since its arrival from Canada in 1962.
The owner had decided to use the aircraft on a business trip to Central Africa. At short notice the Mallard cleared Customs at Luton, bound ultimately for Libreville, Gabon; but the outward flight was complicated by a strike in France and initially had to take a devious route via Brussels, Geneva, Barcelona, Madrid and Lisbon. Political considerations on the West African coastal route caused minor delays, but the Mallard proceeded via Agadir, Las Palmas, Dakar, Freetown, Abidjan and Cotonou, arriving at Libreville on June 7 after a mechanically trouble-free journey of 5,280 miles. The return flight of 4,580 miles to Paris Le Bourget, was made in 29+ hours flying time over three days, the route being via Abidjan, Freetown, Wakar, El Aoiun (Spanish Sahara), Casablanca and Biarritz.
The Mallard got its feet wet only once—when landing on Abidjan's jet runway in a typical West African thunderstorm.
The aircraft flew 10,620 nautical miles in 80hrs over 12 days on the round trip to Paris. Back again in England, G-ASCS finally took to its webbed feet when some water training was carried out in a peaceful bay off the Essex coast in pouring rain, after the dust of the desert and the clammy heat of the African jungle.
It was sold in Canada in April 1969 and was exported on the 18th June 1969 as CF-YQC. In 1976, it was registered with Chalks Flying Services, operating as such until 1989 when the company was renamed Flying Boat Inc and re-registered as N655SS. However on 17th September 1989, this aircraft along with two other Mallards, was blown over in Christiansand Harbour, BVI during Hurricane Hugo.
Fortunately, all three Mallards were repaired and returned to service operating TWA feederline flights between the British Virgin Islands. N655SS (G-ASCS) was last reported in service in 2004, its fate and whereabouts since then is unknown.
WHERE ARE THEY NOW 7 - Douglas DC-3 G-ALWC
Fairey Aviation had a base at Manchester from 1939 until the company went into receivership in 1977, operating three Douglas DC-3s during this period; G-AHCT (1954-1972), G-AMCA (1950-1976) & G-ALWC (1950-1977).
From the late 1970s until 1989, DC-3 G-ALWC carried on with the duties it had performed since it was delivered to Faireys, which was for surface mapping photography, but now operated by Clyde Air Surveys.
In December 1999, this aircraft was at Toulouse when there was a gale and became famaged and more or less abandoned. Damage was to the tail as can be seen on one of the shots, the rudder and elevators were removed. The Ailes Anciennes Assocation finally bought G-ALWC in an auction in 2000. It is now awaiting restoration and will soon be in the new AEROSCOPIA aviation museum.
Photos © combi31
WHERE ARE THEY NOW 6 - SCIBE AIRLIFT B.707 9Q-CBL
Another one of the writers special is this particular B.707. Having booked a two-week holiday in 1987 to the Algarve, I thought I had booked a return flight to Faro on board a Monarch Airlines B.757 each time. However, this was one of many years back in the late 1980's that Air Traffic Control disputes regularly took place during the summer, 1987 was no exception. To cut a long story short, Sunday 23rd August, there were long ATC delays and to add insult to injury, our Monarch Airlines B.757 had gone tech in Malaga anyway. The flight was delayed until the following afternoon, but this turned up on Gate 23 to operate OM404 to Faro. The only time I ever got to fly on this classic jet airliner.
This aircraft was one of three B.707s that visited Manchester between 1987-1990, the other two being 9Q-CBS & 9Q-CBW. 9Q-CBL made its first visit on the 17th July 1987 and its last on the 09th October 1987. It remained Zaire registered until its withdrawal in 1990, although it operated on lease to various operators, eventually ending up at Davis-Monthan, Arizona where it was slowly cannibalised for spares. It is seen here basking in the warm sunshine, not long for this world, on 30th March 1999.
Photos © Geoff Ball, Clive Peace & Pima Air and Space Museum, Tucson, Arizona
WHERE ARE THEY NOW 5 - SWISSAIR B.747 HB-IGB
There were many outstanding visitors to Manchester during 1978, most of these were diversion-related, particuarly during the latter part of 1978 when there were a substantial amount in the last three months of the year. For the latest feature in this section we go back to 18th January 1978.
Heathrow had been affected by fog by most of the day, Swissair had been unable to get any of its scheduled flights into Heathrow all day so someone at the airline obviously hit on the bright idea to send them all to Manchester and then arrange surface transport for their onward journey to London.
However, in able to do this, the Manchester flight, SR842, would have to be upgraded from a DC-9-32. This lead to the arrival at Manchester @ 2023 of Swissair B.747 HB-IGB, departing the following morning @ 0913 as SR843 and was the only Swissair B.747 to visit Manchester.
HB-IGB was one of two B.747's delivered new to Swissair in 1971, this one on 25th March 1971 and saw front-line service with the airline for thirteen years. It was sold in April 1984 to new Finnish airlines National Airlines but a month later, was leased to Egyptair as SU-GAK, returning in April 1985. In the same month, it was sold again, this time to TWA as N304TW who operated the aircraft until April 1991.
In May 1991 it was sold to Candian airline Nationair, still as N304TW. Finally, in May 1993, it bcame TF-ABL with Air Atlanta Icelandic and was soon on lease to Saudia but by mid-1994 it was withdrawn.
It ended its days at Ardmore, Oklahoma where it was deprived of its undercarriage and slowly stripped of parts. It was scrapped during 1996 and had gone by late-1998. The picture tells a sad story depicting a dying airliner among the wild flowers!
Photos © Geoff Ball & Duncan Stewart.
WHERE ARE THEY NOW - PELICAN B.707 G-BPAT
There were high hopes for this airline, the first all-cargo operator to be based at Manchester. The aircraft was delivered to Gatwick on 28th June 1978 and after several days crew training at Shannon, it entered revenue service from Manchester on the 6th July 1978. Departing as DP2001 at 1555, bound for N'Dola,Zambia via Athens, it returned on the 10th from Cyprus with 33 tonnes of grapes. But after operating numerous flight up to the 30th July, its appearance at Manchester became few and far between. It was operating freight flights out of Gatwick or Maastricht on a regular basis from August onwards. In fact, it only made another four visits during that year.
In October 1978, a second B.707 was added, G-BEVN, but this aircraft was also seldom seen at Manchester and wasn't seen at all during 1979.
G-BPAT made three further visits in 1979, the last being on the 29th April, by which time the airline had confirmed that they were relocating to Gatwick. In August 1981, Pelican Cargo ceased trading.
B.707 G-BEVN spent a considerable amount of 1979 at Entebbe awaiting spares at due to an engine malfunction, while B.707 G-BPAT was sold to Zambia Airways as 9J-AEQ in June 1979 and then as ST-ALM in 1989. Later that year, it was sold to Air Hong Kong as VR-HKL and became a regular visit to Manchester once again until it was sold again, this time to Trans Arabian Air Transport in October 1992 as ST-AMF, who operated a number of freights flights through Manchester during 1998/1999.
It was withdrawn from service in 2007 and parked at Khartoum, where it has been ever since and as this picture from July 2011 will testify, kept in immaculate position.
Photos © Geoff Ball & Peter Field.
WHERE ARE THEY NOW 3 - TRIDENT 3B G-AWZI
G-AWZI was delivered to BEA in August 1971 and made its first visit to Manchester on Tuesday 28 September 1971, arriving at 1512 operating from/to Heathrow as BE4078/81. In its fourteen years service with BEA/British Airways, it visited Manchester on numerous occasions, however it curiously made no visits between 21 October 1979-02 August 1983! It came to Manchester for the final time, ironically on its last day in service, on Wednesday 01 May 1985.
All the information below has been very kindly supplied by Andrew Lee, courtesy of the FAST Museum, Farnborough.
History of Trident 3B-101 G-AWZI / Zulu India / C/N 2310
Zulu India first flew on August 4 th , 1971; she was delivered to BEA later that month and entered service with the airline flying on Domestic and European scheduled services. Following the merger of BEA and BOAC on April 1 st , 1974 to form today’s British Airways (BA), Zulu India continued to fly on scheduled services until her last flight with the airline on May 1 st 1985 when she flew a Super Shuttle flight from Edinburgh to Heathrow (BA4989). After spending two years at the BA engineering base; she was sold to the Surrey Fire & Rescue training centre at Wray Park, Reigate. The wings and tail were removed and the fuselage transported to the facility by road. There she remained being used as a class room and fire evacuation trainer until 2002 when she was broken up and her remains sent to a scrap yard at Alton in Hampshire. I purchased the nose section in July 2003 and moved it to Lasham aerodrome where over the next six months along with a group of friends we started the long process of restoration. She was re-sprayed into her original BEA colours from 1971 by ATC Engineering at Lasham. In December 2003 Zulu India was moved to the Farnborough Air Sciences Trust (FAST) museum where the second phase of restoration commenced. This was a complete re-wiring of the flight deck and allowed Zulu India to become live once again. Now her ceiling, instrument and floor lights all work along with some of her systems such as the stick shaker, engine fire bell, and stall warning horn. Inside she is complete and as she would have looked in service with BEA / BA with check lists, manuals, and crew jackets in the wardrobe. Since arriving at the FAST museum she has been used by a number of TV companies for various documentaries.
Photos © Andrew Lee.
WHERE ARE THEY NOW 2 - BAC1-11 G-AVMX
The first aircraft in this section is a personal one. My first ever flight was aboard BAC 1-11 G-AVMX on Wednesday 3 May 1978, which was part of a school day-trip to RAF Leuchars, catching early morning Manchester-Edinburgh flight BE4472.
BAC 1-11 G-AVMX (above) is seen landing at Manchester in August 1972, still resplendent in full BEA Colours. Following the creation of British Airways in 1974, it was painted in their colours a year later and saw service with them for a further seventeen years.
In January 1992, It was withdrawn by British Airways and stored at Bournemouth and initally purchased by Nigerian-outfit Okada Air later in the year, it was never taken up but did see further service with European. G-AVMX (below) is seen at Bournemouth in basic Okada colours, European titles, no engines and a Dan-Air nose cone! It had been completely broken up by September 2000.
Photos © Richard Vandervord & Anthony Best.
WHERE ARE THEY NOW - AIR MALAWI VC-10 7Q-YKH
11 November 1978 Photo © Ian Barrie
This aircraft arrived at Machester on a grey,Friday morning on diversion from Gatwick as QM142 from Blantyre/Nairobi and is seen here over twenty-four hours later before its eventual departure back to Gatwick, it was also its only visit.
It was bought by the airline in 1975 from British Caledonian ex G-ASIW and served with Air Malawi until late-1979 when it was withdrawn and stored at Bournemouth. In 1981, it was re-activated and flown to Blantyre but only for another period of storage. It was finally broken up in 1996.